Friday, February 28, 2014

Last summer I was able to attend a singles conference in IN with WIT. I was unhappy and unsatisfied with my spiritual life and looking for renewal. I was not expecting what God would show me. Fall 2011 I attended a Journey to the Heart conference. During one if my quiet times God brought to mind my salvation at age 8. I dismissed that I couldn't remember many of the details of that night. That night was what I staked my salvation on. I had a period during my early teen years that I had doubted my salvation but heard some teaching that if you had an event that you could “stake your flag”, you could always remind Satan of that if he ever caused you to doubt. So that was how I had dealt with my doubts. During the singles weekend God began showing me that I might be wrong. My table leader shared her experience of being saved as an adult after growing up as a pastor's daughter and thinking she was saved. It seemed to be a key point of every table discussion that we had and it was starting to make me made. My thought was "the purpose of this conference is to help singles grow in their relationship, not discuss salvation all the time". The more she shared her burden for others like her, the more God began softening my heart. I'll admit I was scared about what He was making clearer. But I wasn’t sure if I was even willing to let Him reveal to me what He desired. Thankfully I had a very wise table leader who encouraged me to spend some time allowing Him to speak to me. So I decided to get away for a while and quiet my thoughts so I could listen. In the quiet and cool of my car (the a/c at Verity was broken!) I trusted Christ as my Savior, with no doubts that it was finally settled. So my relationship with Christ was more then renewed, it was started. What began as frustration at trying to check all the "boxes" on the list of things Christians should do, lead me to a while new spiritual life. The past 18 months has been about learning what a relationship with Christ really is and what develops in a persons life because of it. There aren't any boxes to check to determine spirituality. The fruits of our salvation become evident because of it's root- a love for our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment